Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Continuing the Chandelier Saga

As promised yesterday, here's the rest of the story. When I last was here, we had the body of the lamp together. The next step is putting the swags around the bottom. Again, you will have to decide on how many beads look good on your lamp. I used 5 seed beads, a larger crystal, and five more seed beads in each one.

I pulled the double wire down through the hole that the top to bottom swag went into from the top. That gave me a starting point. Then I threaded the beads on the wire and brought the wire up through the corresponding hole to the left. I wrapped the wire around the bottom of that vertical swag a couple of times. Again I went between the bead and the finding.


I probably shouldn't even mention it, but you can do a complicated wrap to attach the candle cup. It is much easier to just glue it on with E-6000 jewelry glue. Don't even attempt it with any white glue or super glue. They will just fall off.
I glued the caps on to the finding where each vertical swag meets the large finding. Let it dry. If you have some small gold scrap booking grommets, they make great collars for the candles and give the piece a more finished look. They aren't necessary, but they do add a little something. I got an assorted pack of different metal finishes at Walmart. I am not sure if they still carry them. They have changed up their craft dept. so much in the past year.

The last piece on the chandelier is a drop at the center bottom. It consists, in this case of a seed bead strung on the fine wire. It is centered and twisted to hold. Then a larger crystal was strung on it and it was threaded through the bottom loop and the tail wound around the neck and cut off. Sorry about the photo. You can barely see it in the center.

The very last thing is candles. You can buy fancy ones at the mini store or do as I did and paint toothpicks white and cut them all off at the same height. Glue them in the grommets. Do some straightening of the swags and candles and you are finished.

You can get as fancy as you like with these. More swags. More drops from each arm. Just make the drops like the center bottom one with a stop bead and other beads of your choice. This one is fairly simple just to show you how to get started. Good luck. I would love to see what you do when you try it.

See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Casey thanks for sharing this with us. The Chandelier looks great..
Tessie will want it now for her Cottage.. LOL

Caseymini said...

Debbie, Tessie is way ahead of you. She thinks it would look great in the Magnolia.......Need I say more?

Unknown said...

The chandelier looks great....I will try to make one...thank you for sharing!

rosanna said...

I'll try, thank you Casey.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Casey. This tut is very helpful and easy to follow. Your finished chandellier looks great.

MiniKat said...

I need to come up with a room that one would go in. Then I will sure give it a try! It looks fantastic!

Caseymini said...

Kat, you could always "dress it up" with cobbwebs and put it in a haunted house or make it all sparkly for a fairy. It doesn't have to have an elegant room.

BTW, if anyone has problems, just yell and I will try to help. Good luck!

Emma said...

Thanks for sharing this ith us.
I will tr to make it.
its very beatifull.

greatings Emma

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,
I was looking in the internet for a tutorial to build a chandelier with crystals and I found your posts.
Your chandelier looks really nice and the idea for the candles is clever! I put a link to both your posts in my blog.
Thank you for the explanations!
Ersilia